Grain-Free Carrot Cake with Dairy-Free Cream Cheese Frosting
A delicious Paleo friendly, Gluten & Dairy Free Carrot Cake. perfect for your holiday get-togethers.
This was my birthday cake back in April. It’s about time I shared the recipe with you! I adore carrot cake; even as a child, it is what I asked my Dad to make for my birthday every year. Who needs chocolate or vanilla when you have carrot cake!?
To make this grain-free carrot cake, I adapted my Chocolate Zucchini Muffin recipe. I have really missed cream cheese frosting, so I am really excited about this recipe. Using dairy-free yogurt really gives this frosting that slight taste of sour one would expect from a traditional cream cheese icing.
Carrots are one of those root seller veggies that last into winter, making this a seasonal favorite dessert around the Holidays. I am not big on dried fruit or nuts in my cake, but I am sure you could add that into this mixture without any trouble.
Be sure to check out the rest of my Homemade For The Holidays Recipe Collection.
- Cake Ingredients
- ½ cup ground Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground vanilla
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ¼ cup apple butter
- ½ cup sunflower seed butter
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 4 pastured eggs
- Dairy-Free Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut yogurt (or other dairy free yogurt option)
- The cream from the top of one full fat can of coconut milk (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 tblsp ground vanilla
- 3 tblsp maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Grease two 8 inch round cake pans and line their bottoms with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs until frothy and loosened.
- In a large bowl combine the carrots, apple and sunflower seed butter. Add in the eggs and combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl with wet ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Divide between the 2 cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- NOTE: The cake pictured has 4 layers, I made the cake recipe twice.
- Dairy-Free Cream Cheese Frosting Instructions:
- Place all ingredients in your blender. Blend smooth and allow the mixture to set in the fridge for several hours or over night.
- Once icing has set, spread a thin layer on the top of each layer of cake. Chill and serve.