Bacon Wrapped Chicken with Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This is one of those throw-together dinners that doesn’t really require a recipe. Typically, I only share recipes that I have tested 3-5 times, this allows me to give exact measurements. However, with meals like this, you can just throw them together without needing to be too specific.
I stuff my sweet potatoes with a mixture of whatever I have in the fridge at that moment. It is so versatile, that you really can’t go wrong. This includes mushrooms, bell peppers, greens, onion, garlic, herbs…you name it! The stuffed sweet potato is twice baked, so it does take a little bit of time. I typically bake it for the first time earlier in the day (you could also likely do it the night before).
The one tip that I have is to make sure you open up the foil right away after the first baking, so that the steam doesn’t set-in and make the skin all soggy. You want the potato to hold together while you are scraping out the flesh and when you stuff it.
The chicken is so simple! I mean really; you could just season it with a little black pepper, wrap it in bacon and your done! Bacon and chicken voila! Bacon makes everything special, like these Pears and this Brussels’s Sprouts and Acorn Squash Side With this chicken, I added a bit of chili powder just to give it that little extra kick.
We have yet to get our grill set up for the season, so I baked these in the oven; they can also be cooked on your backyard grill. The potatoes as well for that matter.
- 4 sweet potatoes washed
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 bunch kale roughly chopped
- ½ a small red onion diced
- 1 package (about 8-10) cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 6 chicken thighs
- 12 slices of bacon
- chili powder to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Pierce holes with a fork in a few places in each sweet potato and wrap them in foil. Place on your oven rack and bake for aprox 30-40 minutes depending on the size.
- Remove from oven once just tender. Open all of the foil to allow the heat to escape to prevent the potatoes from getting soggy. Set aside
- Season chicken breasts and wrap them in bacon. 2 strips for each thigh. Place in an oven safe dish and bake for 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165.
- While the chicken is cooking, gently scrap out the flesh of the sweet potatoes and set it aside in a bowl and mash. Set the skins still in the foil into an oven safe dish.
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium – low heat. Add the onion, garlic and cumin seeds and saute for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for another few minutes. Add the kale and oregano, sea salt and pepper and saute for a few more minutes until nicely wilted. Add in the sweet potato mash and combine all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
- Gently divide the filling between the sweet potato skins. Place the dish back in the oven along side the chicken, and bake for about 20 minutes..