Healthy Hemp Hot Chocolate
This has become my family’s favourite hot chocolate recipe…and it’s what I’d consider a Healthy Snack!
Using soaked Hemp Hearts to make a creamy dairy-free base, gives this semi-sweet drink a real boost. Hemp Hearts are said to be one of the most complete sources of plant protein. They are also packed with a good ratio of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and they are full of phytonutrients. Pair that with the health benefits of cocoa and natural anti-oxidant rich pure maple syrup and you have a tasty, healthy trio! When we come home from a hard day of tobogganing, I feel good about giving my kids this drink.
I usually set the seeds in a jar covered in water (say 4 inches above the seeds…I don’t measure) before we leave for our outdoor winter adventure. When we get home they are ready to go! (1-2 hours is best…you can speed up the process by using warm/hot water)
You are going to love this with my Maple Sweetened Raspberry Marshmallow Recipe!
- 4 tablespoons Hemp Hearts (soaked)
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free cocoa
- 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or to taste)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (optional)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (optional for stirring/flavour)
- 2 hot chili peppers (optional for added flavor, just set one in your full cup for a few minutes)
- We usually cool it off with a little dairy free milk on top or whipped coconut cream, or my Maple Sweetened Raspberry Marshmallows
- Soak your hemp hearts for a few hours until soft (see notes in post above)
- Place the soaked hemp hearts, cocoa, water, maple syrup and vanilla in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Add the mixture to a small pot and heat
- Pour into 2 mugs, add cinnamon or hot peppers if desired.