Curried Carrot & Quinoa Soup
This soup has such a gorgeous colour, it makes me happy just looking at this picture!
But this soup is more than just a pretty face; it is packed full of Beta-Carotine rich carrots and Curry Powder with its anti-inflammatory affects. I used Quinoa to give it a fantastic plant based form of protein. A Paleo option (for those who tolerate nuts) would be to add 1 cup of cashews.
- 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1lb of organic carrots washed and chopped
- 4 ribs of celery chopped
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 and a half teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 and a half teaspoons Jamaican Curry Powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa rinsed well
- 3 cups of broth
- 1 cup of dairy free milk (or more broth)
- Coconut cream (from top of canned coconut milk)
- In a large pot, heat oil and turn the heat to low. Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes or until they become translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots and ginger, and sauté for another few minutes.
- Now add the celery and all of the seasonings. Sauté for another few minutes.
- Add the rinses quinoa and combine to let it get coated in all the wonderful flavors.
- Add 3 cups of stock, cover and cook for 15 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
- Once cooked, transfer the soup in 2 batches to your food processor and puree until smooth (or use a hand blender! lucky duck!)
- Add the soup back into the pot and add the dairy free milk. I used about 1 cup…but you can add whatever you like until the soup reaches your desired consistency.