Chicken Wings with Maple and Meyer Lemon Sauce
Never buy store bought wings again! They are so easy to make at home; and taste so much better.
I personally love sticky and sweet wings over spicy wings. Honey garlic is a favourite of mine, but this blend of sweet maple syrup and meyer lemons is the perfect combination and is rapidly becoming my favourite.
This is a twist on a favourite recipe of ours (Maple Glazed Chicken) from the cookbook Simply in Season . Adding the Meyer lemons and thyme, gave it a little kick.
When I make them for my family, I marinate the wings in the sauce for 1-2 hours. I then boil the marinade for 5-7 minutes on high heat to kill anything. The marinade becomes this amazingly thick and sticky sauce to coat the wings in, once they are finished cooking.
This is optional for you. I know chicken can be scary with salmonella, however I have never had an issue, or become sick from doing this. Why waste a perfectly good marinade? You could skip the marinating, cook the wings with a bit of sea salt and pepper and just boil the sauce and coat the wings. I do feel the wings are tastier after marinating. I wanted to give you both options and leave the choice up to you. Either way, I am not responsible
My kids adore these! They call them *Bones* “Mommy Can we have Bones for dinner?” This sauce is also amazing on other parts of the chicken, grilled and basted on breast, thighs or drum sticks.
Serve them up on game day in these cute baskets! Enjoy
For a chance to win Free Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions, be sure to check out my current giveaway HERE
- ¾ cup fresh Meyer Lemon Juice
- ⅓ cup pure Maple Syrup + ¼ Cup
- ¼ cup oil (olive, coconut, ghee)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- pepper to taste
- 1lb fresh chicken wings
- Combine all ingredients (except chicken) in a blender (I used the magic bullet) and blend until smooth and combined.
- Place chicken in a bow or bag and cover with the marinade for 1-2 hours.
- (optional: skip the marinade step)
- Preheat over to 425F
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. I top that with a rack (like a cooling rack for baking). Grease the rack with coconut oil.
- Remove the chicken from marinade one at a time with tongs and place evenly all over the baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes turning once half way through baking.
- In the mean time place the left over marinade or sauce in a sauce pan. Add ¼ more maple syrup and boil the mixture for 5-7 minutes on High Heat, watching that it doesn’t overflow, or burn. It will be come a thick sticky sauce. Set aside
- Once baked place the wings in a shallow bowl and gently toss them with the sauce, and serve hot.