Cranberry-Pumpkin Energy Balls
Energy Balls are a big hit with my family; perfect for lunches, snacks and a pre-crossfit work out boost for my hubby.
My Go-To recipe has always been from Whole Life Nutrition, these Sunflower Truffles have served us well. However recently my oldest son has taken a liking to them, which caused me to do some elimination testing as he cannot tolerate dates at all. So…I decided to try to switch things up a bit and cranberry-pumpkin just seemed like the perfect combination for this time of year. I used Raw Pumpkin Seeds and Organic Cranberries, Dried and Unsulfured. If you are sensitive to sulfur like many people, (including myself) it is very important to buy the organic unsulfured dried fruits.
This should also please my brother, who doesn’t like dates and has asked me about creating an energy ball for him as he starts training with The Edmonton Rush. There may be no Hockey this year my friends, but there will still be Lacrosse with the NLL (National Lacrosse League) season starting in January.
This recipe is vegan, paleo friendly, gluten free, dairy free, soy free and nut free.
- 1 cup Raw Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup Coconut Flakes Unsweetened
- ¾ cup Organic Unsweetened Cranberries, Dried and Unsulfured
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 1tbsp pure maple syrup or oil
- Place pumpkin seeds and coconut flakes in a food processor and process until ground fine.
- Add the cranberries, pumpkin puree and spices; process again until a ball of dough is formed.
- If needed, add the tablespoon of syrup or oil to bring the mixture together. I found it depended on my homemade pumpkin puree..if it was thicker I needed the oil..if it was watery, I didn’t. I freeze my pumpkin puree in an ice cube tray and then store. This took a little less than 3 cubes.
- Grab pieces of the dough and roll it into balls the size you desire. (My batches made about 15)
- Roll balls into unsweetened coconut flakes, dairy free chocolate pieces, cinnamon and coconut sugar, or nothing at all.