Cauliflower, Carrot & Kale Grain Free Pizza Crust
Cauliflower pizza crust has intrigued me since seeing it for the first time at Against All Grain. I knew some day, that I would have to give it a try! Fast forward to a few weeks ago…I went searching for a dairy free recipe and Google turned up a zillion variations of cauliflower crust; including this lovely looking one from Gluten Free Happy Tummy. She uses almond flour in this recipe.
When it was all said and done, I ended up with this Cauliflower, Carrot & Kale recipe, which uses coconut flour or a mixture of ground pepitas and tapioca flour. Cauliflower is a clever little vegetable that can be turned into *rice*, pizza and many other things. I recently saw a recipe for a Vegan Cauliflower Steak! I put a fresh twist on the typical cauliflower crust recipe by adding carrots and kale. I am always looking for ways to get a variety of colourful veggies into my diet and they mixed in perfectly. Who would have thought that you could eat pizza crust made from vegetables and absolutely no added fat. I topped this pizza with a simple spinach and oregano pesto; so you are still getting a healthy fat source in the Raw Sunflower Seeds and extra virgin olive oil. Now, if you are able to eat dairy, I can imagine some Parmesan cheese would be amazing in the pesto and crust.
This slice has pesto, grilled chicken, bell pepper, green olives, red onion, and I sprinkled Hemp Hearts on top to give that nutty flavour that reminds me of Parmesan Cheese.
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cauliflower
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup shredded kale
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp coconut flour – or- 3tbsp ground pepitas and 2tbsp tapioca flour
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4 egg whites
- Place the cauliflower, carrot and kale in a large bowl. Sprinkle in the sea salt and toss it around with a fork, this will help the vegetables sweat. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Using your clean hands squeeze out as much liquid as possible and place in a large bowl.
- Now add your herbs, flour and mix well. Add the egg whites and mix well, use your hands to kneed like a dough.
- place on a large piece of parchment paper and cover with another piece. Roll out the dough to about ½ in.
- Gently move to a baking sheet, and bake WITH the parchment paper on top for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover and top as desired. Place back in the oven for about 5 minutes to heat up all your toppings, or melt your cheese.