Paleo Apple Squash Muffins
I have come up with another seasonal muffin recipe; this time using apples and butternut squash. I started working on this recipe last winter, but then spring arrived and my desire to eat muffins was pushed aside for fresh leafy greens. I found the little piece of paper with the recipe scribbled on it a few weeks ago, and I decided to rework the recipe without rice flour and make it grain-free.
It took me several attempts to get this recipe right. For some reason I kept coming out with 9 muffins, and I really wanted to fill the whole tray and make 12! Needless to say, I have a freezer full of these muffins after having so many test batches. They all tasted great, but just came up 3 short. I can’t complain though, I now have easy after school snacks for the kids for the next few weeks. I also tried to work this recipe without using tapioca flour, as I know many people are trying to avoid the added starch these days. The muffins did turn out OK without the added starch, but I found them to be more crumbly. I tolerate tapioca well, so I didn’t go much further with that experiment.
- ½ cup ground Sunflower Seeds
- ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp Coconut Flour
- ⅓ cup Tapioca Flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 4 eggs whisked
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil liquefied
- ⅔ cup of butternut squash puree
- 1 organic apple shredded or diced (edited as my kids prefer it shredded)
- Streusel Topping
- 3Tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- 2-3Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ground sunflower seeds, coconut and tapioca flour, baking powder and spices.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 4 eggs until frothy, add the maple syrup, coconut oil, shredded apple and squash puree.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine well with a spoon.
- to make Streusel topping place all ingredients in a food processor and process for a few seconds until it becomes a crumbly texture.
- Fill prepared muffin tin ⅔ of the way full with the batter. Sprinkle Streusel on top.
- Bake for approx 25 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean