Grain Free & Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Modern Day “Milk and Cookies”…that is how I feel about these cookies. Packed full of goodness; healthy fats, protein, fibre, antioxidants….what could possibly pair more perfectly with it for a meal (yes meal) or snack than a green smoothie? Who needs milk?! I was never one to drink a glass of milk, and of course now that I have been dairy free for 2 years, it is hard to even imagine eating cookies with milk.
I have been baking some things recently using Psyllium Husks. The husks are a great addition to gluten free baking because they help bind everything together and with that, I decided to make this a vegan recipe; forgoing the eggs. I also did some looking around about whether Psyllium husk are considered *paleo* (for those of you who follow those food guidelines). They seem to be OK; it is a shell to a seed, so I don’t see why not… I did read one comment saying “there is no need to add rough fibre bulk to ones diet, just eat more greens.” What’s your opinion? For myself and my own food story, I say they are OK J I found this link with some helpful dietary information. You could skip the Chia Seeds egg and husks and add an egg if you would rather. (I haven’t yet tested it this way myself so let me know if you do!)
I made several test batches, some of the cookies with 1/2 cup of Coconut Sugar and some with 3/4 cup of coconut sugar. They were great with 1/2 cup, but when I used 3/4 they were sort of chewy; more like cookies I remember…whichever suits your taste and personal needs is fine.
This recipe is grain/gluten free, vegan, soy free, nut free and paleo friendly
- •2/3 cup Tahini
- •1/3 cup coconut oil liquefied
- •3 tbsp coconut milk
- •1 tbsp Psyllium Husks
- •1/4 cup water
- •1 tbsp ground chia seeds
- •½ cup coconut flour
- •1/2 cup ground sunflower seeds (I grind my own to save money)
- •1/2tsp baking soda
- •¼ tsp sea salt
- •1/2 – ¾ cup Coconut Sugar
- •1tsp Ground Vanilla Beans
- •1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips ( I use Enjoy Life)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper or use a non stick sheet.
- In a large bowl whisk the tahini, coconut oil, coconut milk and husks together and set aside.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup whisk together the water and chia seeds and set aside
- In a medium bowl whisk together the coconut flour, ground sunflower seeds, baking soda, sea salt, sugar and vanilla.
- Now whisk the chia mixture with the tahini mixture; then add these wet ingredients to the medium bowl of dry flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon, mix well, adding the chocolate chips at the end until combined
- Grab heaping tablespoon size balls of the cookie dough and press flat with the palm of your hand onto the cookie sheet (they will not flatten out on their own)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until brown on the bottom. Remove onto a cooling rack
- Makes 14-18 cookies depending on desired size
I shared this recipe with: